Volunteer role: Theater for Development Adviser
|Type of role:||Business, management and IT|
|Location:||Rangpur Northern Part of Bangladesh, Bangladesh|
|Partner organisation:||VSO Bangladesh (Bangladesh)|
|Application Closing Date:||31 Dec 2018|
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
The theatre for development specialist will create the strong creative tool (interactive theatre, drama, to aware different groups including youth and community, service providers with an aim to aware them about the causes and consequence of child marriage and necessity of improved SRHR services. The theatre for development specialist will highlight and focus the importance of women empowerment through developing communication tools (theatre, drama) will try to attain more equitable power relationships within the household. The theatre for development specialist will also provide emphasis to bring the most marginalized communities engaged in our program. One of the focus areas of THDS is to build the capacity of youth clubs, peer educators and partner staff on different youth friendly communication tools to stop the early marriage and improve SRHR services.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• Diploma or Bachelor on Theater Arts/Performing Arts.
• Experience of 3-5 years in Theatre for Development Program/Project.
• Experience in the NGO sector
• Extensive experience of work with young people particularly adolescent child’s, girls, and woman in the community regarding AYSRHR awareness development issues through theater/performing arts methodology.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience in advocacy for gender equality
• Capacity to design, organize and conduct workshops/training sessions.
• Good facilitation skills
• Commitment to teamwork, coaching, and mentoring others.
• Ability to handle problems.
• All applicants must possess strong written and spoken English language skills. Applicants may be required to take a VSO language test as part of the selection process.
• Masters on Theater Arts/Performing Arts.
• Understanding of development issues child marriage, AYSRHR, Youth empowerment,
• Understanding socio-economic issues,
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Volunteer jobs in business, management and IT
Business and management professionals needed to support the development of sustainable businesses and livelihoods.