Volunteer role: Social Inclusion and Gender Adviser (Field Based Researcher Role)
|Type of role:||Business, management and IT|
|Partner organisation:||RDRS Bangladesh|
|Application Closing Date:||31 Dec 2019|
|Interview date:||TBA (To be announced)|
|Start date:||As soon as possible.|
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
1. Review the existing activities for disabled people in VSO Bangladesh and how these are implementing in field level through partners
2. Conduct a full social exclusion and gender analysis (SEGA) study to find the gaps, challenges, aspirations and possible interventions for youth with disabilities (YWDs)
3. Research and mapping of potential employment, entrepreneurship and agricultural activities for YWDs in the area
4. Review local and national government policies to support YWDs
5. Strategy development to break social stigma and discrimination on disabilities aspects
6. Develop an engagement strategy to obtain local government support for YWDs
7. Review SEGA findings and work with Growing Together team and community members to design project activities for YWD that can be embedded into the Growing Together/Joikko model
8. Support RDRS (implementing partner organization) with Participatory Rural Analysis activities to identify YWDs who will participate in year one project activities
9. Pilot activities including establishing new farmer groups and demo plots as well as employment and entrepreneurship support.
Skills, qualifications and experience
Women with required competencies are strongly encouraged to apply.
• At least MA/BA in Women and Gender Analysis/Research/Study, Development Study, Sociology, Anthropology.
• Proven experience of conducting quantitating and qualitative research studies, research report writing with methodologies, research data collection, research data analysis, etc.
• Clear knowledge of SIG and disabled-friendly interventions
• Experience on profitable business model and planning for disabled people
• A clear understanding of disabled focused interventions based on local context
• Conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think
• Having development experience in South Asia context
• Experienced on the livelihood of the poor communities
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Volunteer jobs in business, management and IT
Business and management professionals needed to support the development of sustainable businesses and livelihoods.