Volunteer role: Peacebuilding and Post Conflict Advisor
|Type of role:||Engineering and technical|
|Location:||To be Confirmed, Myanmar|
|Partner organisation:||VSO International|
|Application Closing Date:||30 Nov 2019|
|Interview date:||To be Confirmed|
|Start date:||Soonest Possible|
VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
The purpose of this role is to Provide technical assistance to post-conflict and peace building activities with partner organizations and key stakeholders, including community members and leaders, and government officials.
Skills, qualifications and experience
The ideal candidate has:
• At least 10 years’ experience in building the skills and capacity of civil society organizations and nonprofits, focused on participatory approaches
• Proven ability as a technical trainer for adult learners and discussion facilitator for diverse groups
• Strong understanding of the role of civil society in a developing country context, Myanmar a plus
• Experience working in a resource poor environment and/or (post)conflict environments
• Strong background and experience in transferring skills in the area of civil society leadership, people management, strategic planning, public speaking, peacebuilding, social cohesion building, etc.
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• A self-starter who learns quickly and works well in a team environment with minimal supervision
• Resourceful and flexible
• An effective communicator
• Patient and with a good understanding of team dynamics
• Able to work well with a variety of individuals in a challenging, cross-cultural setting.
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Volunteer jobs in engineering and technical
Engineering and technical volunteers tend to work in either our secure livelihoods programmes to help people make a decent living and be resilient, or on programmes supporting healthcare services.