Volunteer role: Medical expert - volunteer
|Location:||Kingston, United Kingdom|
|Application Closing Date:||27 Aug 2019|
VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. VSO volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities sharing skills and experience that help generate new ideas and new ways of doing things. VSO volunteers help the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join our team of volunteers and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
This is an exciting opportunity to support the Global Procurement and Logistics team in finalising the Medical Procurement guidance section of VSO’s Logistics Manual.
The guidance is currently in draft and requires expert input from a medical professional prior to launch
Skills, qualifications and experience
In this role, you will help review sections of the manual on how to ensure medical supplies are source appropriately following the required standards and best practice.
To be successful in this role, you will possess the following skills, knowledge and experience
• Qualifications in medical field
• Knowledgeable in industry best practice and relevant international guidelines related to sourcing of medical goods e.g. WHO guidelines or other INGO’s
• Significant experience in the medical industry
• Experience of working within the medical programming in developing countries
• Experience of working within the charity sector
• Skills in written communication (drafting guidance in layman’s terms)
• Ability to work well as part of a team
• Interest in, and commitment to, VSO’s vision and mission
• Ideally based in the UK and able to travel to VSO’s Kingston offices (if not possible, able to Skype call)
• Previous involvement in procurement of medical devices/ equipment
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide sponsorship for this position, so please ensure you have the right to work in the UK before you apply.
As a VSO volunteer you will work on an ad hoc basis, performing activities for VSO during your free time. Expenses you incur while volunteering for VSO are reimbursed (Reasonable transportation and lunch).
The role can be carried out in a flexible way online or in our Kingston office or a combination depending on your time and availability.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application