Volunteer role: Inclusive Education Literacy Advisor – Disability Focus -Bilingual (Portuguese/Spanish/French and Italian speaking)
|Type of role:||Teaching and education|
|Application Closing Date:||31 May 2021|
|Interview date:||Soon as Possible|
VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. In 2018/19, VSO supported over one million of the poorest and most excluded people in 23 countries across Africa and Asia.
You will support local education providers and community leaders with implementing inclusive education practices for people with disabilities and ensuring accessibility of quality education for all girls at the age of 15 - 19, who have been excluded from school for different reasons. The role will focus on disability issues according to the needs of students.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• A Bachelor degree in the related field. A Masters degree in inclusive education and related will be an advantage;
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in in-service and/or pre-service teacher training at pre-primary and primary education level;
• Experience of training teachers at pre-primary and primary level and/or secondary level and proven knowledge and skills in Active learning, child-centered and inclusive methodologies and special needs education;
• Proven experience in developing, implementing and coordinating inclusive education projects/programmes;
• Advisory, communication and networking skills;
• Experience in developing inclusive education/SNE (Special Needs Education) training materials (including teaching aids) and delivering training;
• Knowledge and experience as well as the enthusiasm for continuously monitoring and evaluating project results and writing regular quarterly and annual reports;
• Experience in using the technology to ensure effective management of information systems, planning and decision making;
• Excellent communication skills with good command of both spoken and written Portuguese (or Spanish/French/Italian) and English.
How we support our volunteers
VSO provides a support package which includes a basic living allowance, accommodation, medical cover and travel expenses. You'll get extensive training before leaving and support from local staff when you're overseas, and when you return, we'll help you resettle.
Some background about VSO
In the last 60 years, we have worked in over 90 countries and supported over 50 million people. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation.
Our proven approach works with volunteers of different skillsets, from overseas consultants to youth. These volunteers work alongside community organisations, local and national governments, and global partners.
Right now, VSO is bringing justice to rape survivors in Pakistan, building resilient disaster prevention and relief in Mozambique, ending stigma against children with disabilities in Ethiopia and tackling the youth skills gap in Uganda and Bangladesh.
Today over 50% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another.
However, our vision has remained the same: create a fair world for everyone.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Volunteer jobs in teaching and education
Help ensure that every child has access to a quality education.
Volunteering in Mozambique
Our work supports improved education, especially for children who have traditionally been marginalised such as girls. We also support better livelihoods for vulnerable women such as widows, and improved access youth-friendly sexual and reproductive health services and rights.