Volunteer role: Inclusive Education Literacy Advisor – Disability Focus (Bilingual)
|Type of role:||Teaching and education|
|Location:||Beira and Chimoio, Mozambique|
|Application Closing Date:||31 May 2019|
|Interview date:||Soon as Possible|
|Start date:||September, 2019|
VSO is the world's leading development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
The role is to support and advise target partners (local education providers and community leaders) in integrating and implementing inclusive education practices for people with disabilities and ensuring accessibility of quality education for all girls at age of 15 - 19 of , who have been excluded from the Education System for different reasons. With main focus on disability issues according to the needs of students.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• A minimum of BA degree ,MA degree in inclusive education and related areas preferred
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in in-service and/or pre-service teacher training at pre-primary and primary education level;
• Experience of training teachers at pre-primary and primary level and/or secondary level and proven knowledge and skills in Active learning, child-centered and inclusive methodologies and special needs education,
• Proven experience and Knowledge of developing, implementing and coordinating inclusive education projects/programs;
• Advisory ,communication and networking skills and experiences;
• Experience in developing inclusive education/SNE training materials (including teaching aids) and deliver trainings;
• Have adequate knowledge and experience as well as the enthusiasm to continuously monitor and evaluate project results and write up reports regular quarterly and annual reports;
• Experience in using the technology to ensure effective management of information systems, planning and decision making;
• Excellent communication skills with good command of both spoken and written Portuguese and English;
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Volunteer jobs in teaching and education
Help ensure that every child has access to a quality education.
Volunteering in Mozambique
Our work supports improved education, especially for children who have traditionally been marginalised such as girls. We also support better livelihoods for vulnerable women such as widows, and improved access youth-friendly sexual and reproductive health services and rights.