Volunteer role: Health, Safety and Environment Advisor
|Type of role:||Facilities|
|Application Closing Date:||15 Aug 2022|
VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. At VSO we pride ourselves on doing development differently. We fight poverty not by sending aid, but by working through volunteers and partners to create long-lasting change in some of the world’s poorest regions. We bring key stakeholders together to co-ordinate collective action, from local organisations to national governments. Our programmes in Africa and Asia focus on health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience, peace building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change that will improve the lives of generations to come.
The aim of this role is to provide technical support to implementing partners (IPs) on developing and implementing occupational health and safety procedures and policies.
Skills, qualifications and experience
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Human resources, Bachelor’s degree in science or project management or its related qualification with background on Health, Safety and Environment in industry service is required. Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in marketing and business development
• Highly experienced in private sector operations preferably in clean energy industries
• Ability to meet demands of the private sector and specifically on the HSE and industry requirements
• Good experience in establishing and supporting organization development
• Strong understanding of businesses, esp. small and medium businesses
• Field experience or have actively participated in environmental projects, ideally international or developmental
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Excellent planning and facilitation skills
• Strong analytical and presentation skills.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
• Ability to be open minded and respectful
• Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
• Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
• Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application
Business, management and IT roles
Business and management professionals needed to support the development of sustainable businesses and livelihoods.