Volunteer role: Business Development Advisor - Agribusiness
|Type of role:||Community and social work|
|Location:||Various Countries, Various Countries|
|Partner organisation:||VSO International|
|Application Closing Date:||1 Feb 2022|
|Interview date:||To be Confirmed|
|Start date:||Soonest Possible|
VSO is the world’s leading international development charity that works through volunteers to create a fair world for everyone. We are unique in the way we bring people together to share their skills and experience, generate insights and ideas and, most of all, take action against poverty and exclusion. It's a highly effective approach that works, and today is helping millions of people in some of the world's poorest communities lift themselves out of poverty.
To support Agricultural enterprises in developing and growing their business;-
• Build the capacity of Agricultural Entrepreneurs in Business management and Business development skills.
• Support Agricultural entrepreneurs to design and implement business plans that are key to their business growth
• Connect new and upcoming businesses to established entrepreneurs and Business Development Service providers relevant to their enterprises for mentorship and coaching
• With project team support the agricultural entrepreneurs and SMEs to form a network for sharing best practices, enhancing visibility, engagement and reputation with private sector companies
• Support agri-enterprises who have already received non-formal training in business plan development, presentation for potential funding/use local resources to set up small/micro enterprises for self-employment.
Skills, qualifications and experience
• Degree or equivalent in Business Development, Agri-business, and other relevant degrees
• 5+ years of relevant experience in Business development and Agri-enterprises
• Small business advisor
• Experience of growing and developing Agri-enterprises
• Ability to inspire and motivate others
• Experience of training, coaching others
• Strong interpersonal skills and suitable character to work in a slow-paced environment
• Initiative, self-motivated
• Ability to adjust and adapt easily to a new environment, culture and situation; address multiple challenges in the workplace and be able to work without much supervision.
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organisation. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organisations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.Make an application