Skip to main content

Youth Volunteering (ICS)

VSO volunteers in Tanzania Andrew Aitchison

If you're 18-35 years old you could volunteer overseas for 10-12 weeks

International Citizen Service (ICS) is a UK Government funded programme providing volunteer placements to 18-25 year olds and Team Leader placements to 23-35 year olds.

All you need to apply for ICS is the ambition to make a difference​.

With ICS:

  • All travel, vaccinations, expenses, insurance and accommodation are organised and paid for
  • You'll live and work in local communities as part of a team made up of British and local volunteers
  • You'll receive comprehensive training before you go and full in-country support from local staff

Visit ICS website

To take part in ICS you'll need to be living in the UK and a UK, EU or EEA citizen. You may also be able to take part in ICS if there are programmes running in your country.
A map of the world

Where you can volunteer

ICS has projects in some of the poorest communities around the world.

ICS is currently active in seven countries. Learn more about where you could volunteer overseas and the types of project you could be a part of. 

Show me where I could go

ICS is funded by the UK Government's Department for International Development, which leads the UK’s work to end extreme poverty.

Find out more

ICS is run by a consortium of experienced and respected development organisations, led by VSO. If you are 18-25 and looking to contribute towards vital charity work abroad, ICS is for you.

Find out more