Skip to main content

Keeping your fundraising legal

fundraisers at a fun run vso

Fundraising should be fun, but it is important to make sure that your event is legal and safe for everyone taking part. If you are in any doubt please contact us for more information.

First aid

If you are holding an event involving a number of people it’s a good idea to have first aid supplies on hand and qualified first aiders if possible. You can get advice from St John Ambulance or the Red Cross.

Public collections

Street collections in a public place require a permit from your local authority. All collectors must be over 16, wear an identification badge and carry a letter of authority from VSO.  It is important to state who you are and who you are collecting for and use our official buckets or tins.  Find out more about organising a street collection


Tickets must only be sold on the night of the event. If tickets are sold in advance your ‘raffle’ could be legally classed as a public lottery and subject to further regulations. Find out more on how to organsie a raffle.

Liquor licensing rules

If you wish to sell alcohol at an event you must be licensed. If you need to apply for an occasional liquor licence, it’s easier to approach an existing licensee and ask them to apply for you. You do not need your own licence if you are holding an event in a building that already has a licensed bar.

Fundraising with food

To keep everyone safe, it's a good idea to check the Food Standards Agency guidelines on preparing, handling, cooking & storing food. 


If your event involves the general public, you might want to consider investing in Public Liability Insurance. Check first to see if your venue already has this.

The VSO logo

If you would like to use the VSO logo when promoting your event, please ensure that your event is advertised as 'event, in aid of VSO'

VSO fundraising team hard at work

Need some help? Get in touch!

Telephone: +44 (0)20 8780 7500