Nearly all Rwandan children are enrolled in primary school, but the quality of education is a cause for concern. Children are leaving school without a decent level of literacy and numeracy. There are also high rates of repetition, especially the first year of primary, which is repeated by 70% of children.
The Government of Rwanda introduced early childhood education (ECE) in 2013 to combat some of these issues. However, most teachers are unqualified and struggling with a lack of resources.
That's where VSO comes in. We are currently recruiting Foundational English Literacy and Numeracy Teaching Advisors to improve the quality of primary and pre-primary education. These volunteers will work in schools and with teacher training college to build teachers' ability to use learner-centred teaching methodologies and improve the quality of learning, even in very low-resource settings.
If you have a teaching qualification and at least three years' professional experience, we want to hear from you! Your skills would strengthen this programme, helping more Rwandan children access the education they deserve.
To get an idea of what it's like to live as an education volunteer in Rwanda, check out this video.
Recent results from our education programmes in Rwanda:
- 250,000+ children were reached through improved learner-centred teaching
- Trained 4,000+ in-service teachers, 7,000 trainee teachers to improve their skills and knowledge
- Supported 371 schools to prepare development plans, with training for their head teachers
- Promote the effective instruction of literacy and numeracy
- Increase the availability of teaching and learning materials (English and Kinyarwanda)
- Improve the quality of teaching and learning materials (English and Kinyarwanda)
- Support the transition to English as the language of instruction
- Position TTCs as centres of excellence on literacy and numeracy for teachers in need of professional support
- Support inclusive education directed towards children with disability and girls
Why should you volunteer with VSO Ireland?
- Create sustainable change
- Personal and professional development
- Benefit from skills exchange
- Embrace new challenges
Costs, including flights, accommodation and vaccinations, are covered and a monthly allowance is offered. As well as pre-departure training, volunteers are supported throughout their placements and have a full debrief when they return to Ireland.
If you're interested in a volunteering placement with VSO Ireland, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01 640 1060.