Health projects in PNG
VSO PNG is working together with the National Government and other stakeholders to:
Strengthen maternal and neonatal health care
- To improve the quality of maternal and neonatal health care, our volunteers deliver a combination of on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching and provide support in direct service delivery.
Improve Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH)
- Increasing the quality of SRH services, volunteers build skills in local healthcare staff to prevent and treat STIs and implement reproductive health services.
- Strengthening the knowledge and understanding of HIV/AIDS and increasing the access to care, VSO volunteers and national Peer Educators support most-at-risk populations and people living with HIV/AIDS.
Increase the availability and accessibility of nutrition services
- Re-introducing nutrition education, our volunteers work together with Divine Word University in the delivery of a Post Graduate Diploma on nutrition and dietetics.
- Our clinical nutritionists are setting up nutrition offices across the country.
Strengthen the delivery of nursing education
- Volunteers work with the National Department of Health and Schools of Nursing to strengthen students’ clinical practice
Recent health projects
Nurse education support project (NESP) 2015 - ongoing
Volunteers improve delivery of nursing education and clinical practice by supporting nursing lecturers, health care workers and facilitating clinical placements.
Nutrition and dietetics support project (NDSP) 2015 - ongoing
Clinical volunteers mentor and coach hospital staff and provide in-service training on healthy lifestyles and nutrition.
Volunteers will design and deliver a post-graduate programme of nutrition and dietetics and train graduates to become educators.
Maternal health 2013-2015
To increase the accessibility of obstetric and gynaecology services, VSO supported Modilon hospital with the delivery of clinical services in the labour ward, postnatal ward, gynaecology ward and outpatients clinic.
You may also like to read:
Education projects in PNG
Training teachers in up-to-date methods like phonics to improve teaching and learning.